Sunday, May 13, 2012

BARBIE MY CONFIDANTE



I briefly took a writing class. The assignment was to write about my favorite toy growing up in the form of a poem. Not my forte ...it's a cheesy rhyme.

Audience Applause...please??





BARBIE MY CONFIDANTE

Barbie, Barbie, you were so fair,

Barbie, Barbie, as I brushed your golden hair,

I sat and imagined that your clothes were mine,

Instead of the corduroys that stretched out with time.



My pants, they were tight around my ample waist,

As I dreamt that your boa, around my neck I could paste.

Your tush was so perky and also mad tight,

But I listened to relatives ask me, "Your ass is spreading, right?"



Barbie, oh Barbie, I wouldn't eat for days,                             
Telling Secrets


Hoping that I could kick the fat phase.

Barbie oh Barbie if only I was stronger,

I'd have kept my fingers down my throat a few seconds longer.

A good cleansing was all I would have needed,

To fit a wardrobe like yours, all my shirts lacy and beaded.



I walked down the streets and I heard the cries,

Cute boys stuck their heads out of cars and yelled, "Elephant thighs!"

I never wanted to go out, so I played with you,

My only friend and my confidante too.

I told you my secrets and all of my woes,

Hoping one day you'd wiggle your toes,

Coming to life and without delay, helping me to learn the supermodel way.



Little did I know that

I'd grow up to be curvy, sexy and trim.

Three kids later, I still get called slim.                                         


Unfortunately, the dirty looks and insults still come,

From the frumpy moms in the schoolyard, too sluggish to have fun.

Little do they know that I can relate,

All the while too aware that I'm the object of their hate.



No, I wasn't a teenage mom, and there's no personal trainer,

I just made life choices, one of which was to not be a complainer.

Happiness it seems, is the key,

To what I am now, to what is the new me.

I choose to be happy,

I choose to have fun,

I choose to enjoy life,

And wish you this same sun.

Big thanks to my friend Barbie, unknowingly my mentor and friend,

You'd be happy to know that my lonely, insecure, ugly days have all come to an end.




CF Winn is the award-winning author of The COFFEE BREAK SERIES, a hilarious group of short stories meant to be read while on break or in the waiting room of the doctor's office. Her first novella, SUKI, has been grabbing hearts and hugging souls all over the United States.

You can now order SUKI in paperback at BOOK REVUE, one of the nation’s largest independent bookstores, by email at info@bookrevue.com or by calling (631) 271-1442.
Learn more about SUKI at BOOK REVUE http://www.bookrevue.com/localauthors.html











No comments: