Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The "Affects" of Unfortunate Vocabulary "Effects" My Delicate Psyche

The post read something like, "If you put your face on the cover of your book, will it increase "SELLS"?

Huh?

What you talkin' 'bout Willis?   

Maybe I'm nitpicking because I think that spelling and grammar mean more than publicity and marketing, but I have to be honest. I was shocked and appalled.
As authors, aren't words supposed to be our thing?

Maybe it was a typo.

I'm not really sure if an author's face will increase the sales of their books, but the one thing I do "NO" is, if that is a preview of the writing we can expect, the cover is the LAST thing that person needs to worry about.

"PEACES" like that are not only annoying to try to wade through and interpret, but why pay so much for lap tops with spell check if we're not going to pay attention to the wavy red line in front of our faces when we make a mistake?

Now before I get lynched by the masses, let me clear up some misconceptions about my own work.
                                                                                          
The "Kafe" in KAFE CASTRO was spelled with a "K" to emphasize the European feel "OFF" where the story was set. While the place really does exist in Denmark, it is spelled with a "C", but there are other sites around Europe that are spelled with a "K" "TWO", like the Kafe Kult in Munich, Germany.
And in my other story, the title is a play on the main character's last name, Joanna Moore.

Having cleared the air on my minor controversies, I'd like see your list of no-no's that plague the world of intelligent, smooth sounding writing.

"FELL" free to put "SUM" in the comments box. My hope is that if we can compile a list, we can set a virtual bonfire and rid the literary world of these offenses forever.


And if someone calls the second in The Coffee Break Series, MOORE "THEN" MEETS THE EYE again, I'm going to hit them over the head with a thick, old fashioned dictionary.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been told, smoke doesn't plume into the air, it plumbs. Huh?
Someone else explained the American public doesn't know what their loins are. Really?
Then again, my first manuscript was packed with castrated rams, (wethers) so what do I know?

CF Winn said...

I'm beginning to understand why it is vital that people like you and I MUST survive an apocalypse...we need to restore balance to the literary world...thank you for sharing.

ruma said...

Hello, Christina Fifield-Winn.

Awe inspiring your works...

Thank you for your love and sincerity.
Have a good day.

The traditional celebration, with kimono infants.

Japanese colored leaves, in heartwarming space.

The prayer for all peace.

Greetings.
From Japan, ruma ❀

CF Winn said...

ruma, I feel truly blessed by your attention. I can only say a simple "thank you".