Wednesday, December 14, 2011

September thru January

I stepped out of the shower one day in November and there it was. Scrawled across the mirror, steam was beginning to fill in the "O" in YOU, but it was readable, and it made me gasp.

"WILL YOU MARRY ME?"

It had been two months.

Was it the sappy movies we had just been watching?? I could still feel his arms wrapped around me as we lounged on the couch sharing kisses and a bottle of Pinot Grigio...oh my God! Was this a drunken proposal??

We could've ended this in September. We'd had some type of disagreement under the street lamp in front of his house. As I got in the car to drive away, he started yelling about deja vu. Deja vu? I was about to walk out of his life and he was talking craziness??

Something kept me there. I don't know what it was, but something about the urgency in his voice as he talked about destiny stopped me in my tracks. It was a cool night, so we got into the car, and drove to the stop sign and parked. We got into it...our beliefs, our spirituality, all of it. Our intensity fogged up the windows, (I'm sure the neighbors thought we were teenagers tangled up across the seats)and as we talked, we realized that we were supposed to be together.

We moved far too quickly. If I had been under my parents roof, they wouldn't have approved, but I was a grown woman with three children. I thought about the kids, but only insofar as this guy seemed to treat them as if they were his own. It was October when he moved in, and it was easy.

Would we have issues if we lived on top of each other without really knowing the other? I figured we would eventually, but for now, it was easy.
Would we have fights over stupid things? Of course. But for now it was easy.

He was cute and attentive, and promised me he'd help so I wouldn't have to do it alone anymore...and he kept his word.

But now there was a proposal on the table.

It would be so easy to wipe the moisture off of the mirror and pretend it wasn't there. He'd be embarrassed that he had to bring it up and would drop the subject entirely.

I reached over to the glass. I was shaking. This could change all of the easiness between us. I needed to be sure.

Hastily, I wrote "YES" under his question.

ENGAGEMENT ANNOUNCED: December 25, 2009 in front of family

MARRIED: January 19, 2010 in front of the Justice of the Peace and our kids

Ring inscription: BALANCED-GUIDED-DESTINED

2 comments:

Pratibha said...

I so enjoyed the story ..
thanks for linking in !

:)

Waiting to hear your version of other months if you planning that is ...

CF Winn said...

I have more on the way. Thank you for running the challenge. I'm not sure I would've written anything today if it wasn't for you. Now you've got me planning the next! Hope you enjoy that one too! Thanks for reading!