Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Lunchables

Help me. I'm hungry.

So one morning, I'm editing SUKI, when my daughter sends me a MAYDAY text:

"Sam has no lunch. Please call his father and tell him to bring him some. I have to go into class now."

What?! My beloved godson has no lunch?! He's a teenager...at a very crucial point in his growth cycle...he needs to eat every meal!

I stop everything and call my friend, but he doesn't answer.          
Send Out Sustenance


I leave him a VM:

"Corey, this is your BF calling... from New York... to let you know that your son...in Colorado... has no lunch. He called my daughter...in New York...to ask her to get in touch with you...in Colorado...so you can bring him the lunchable that's on the shelf in the refrigerator. Unfortunately, she has to be in class now, and is not allowed to use her cell phone, so she SOS'd me to help."

My friend does not respond all day, but I have faith that the law is the same in Colorado as it is in New York, and that the school will allow Sam to eat the same hockey puck burgers and limp salads that we all ate in high school, and that tomorrow his parents can pay the cafeteria back.

When I'm sure school has let out, I text my godson and ask, "So what did you do for lunch today?"

He says, "Nothing. But then my mom's hair stylist dropped off some food at the end of the day. I ate it on the bus on the way to my basketball game, and then I got a hot dog and popcorn after the game."

???

So, wait. That's how it's done??      
Drop those scissors! We have a crisis!

I would LOVE to call up MY hair stylist, ROB, at SALON 3028 and say,

"Hey Rob, Ali left her cell phone at home and I she's gonna need to text me after school to pick her up from her play practice. I know that I just interrupted you cutting John Edward (the famous psychic) to come to the phone, and I know that it can take weeks to get an appointment with you sometimes because your salon is so busy, but would you mind dropping everything, and running this over to her? Thanks, you're a doll! SMOOCHES!"

I'm gonna call him tomorrow and see how that goes...





CF Winn is the award-winning author of The COFFEE BREAK SERIES, a quirky group of short stories meant to be read while on break or in the waiting room of the doctor’s office. Her first novella, SUKI, has been grabbing hearts and hugging souls all over the United States. 

You can now order SUKI in paperback at http://hopress-shorehousebooks.com/cf-winn/  or at BOOK REVUE, one of the nation’s largest independent bookstores, by email at info@bookrevue.com Learn more about SUKI at BOOK REVUE.  

Her blogs have been syndicated on multiple sites including The Masquerade Crew. More posts like these can be found at Humor Outcasts and The Patch where she is a regular contributor.  


FOLLOW me on TwitterFacebook, Google +, and CF_Winn on Instagram.

No comments: